Today, companies of all sizes are making absence management a higher priority.1 In addition to the productivity, morale, and cost issues that can arise from job interruptions due to employee leaves, employers need to devote significant attention to tracking and reporting absences to comply with regulations such as the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA) – as well as a growing number of state leave laws.*
Mismanagement of employee leaves can result in lawsuits, fines and investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), employee abuse of benefits, and poor return-to-work outcomes. So, what can you do to help your clients?
Employers who outsource Short Term Disability (STD) and Family and Medical Leaves achieve better absence management results versus employers who manage these internally or outsource STD only.*
Wondering how well your company’s absence management efforts measure up? Use Guardian's Absence Management ScorecardSM to receive a customized assessment of your current absence management activities.
Guardian Absence Management addresses employers’ biggest challenges
Using third parties to oversee absence management can alleviate the administrative burden on employers and help ensure consistency and objectivity in the treatment of employees, which is key to compliance. And since most FMLA leaves are related to an employee’s own health issue, outsourcing these leaves, Short Term Disability (STD), and other benefits to the same external resource can help maximize success. Whether your clients are thinking of outsourcing but hesitant to make the move, or are already outsourcing but want more support, Guardian is here to help.
Our cutting-edge solution: Guardian AbsenceWorks®
Guardian AbsenceWorks® makes it possible for employers of all sizes to take advantage of high-quality, integrated disability and absence management services. Our range of flexible options – including ADA support – enables us to customize a program to best meet your clients’ needs, whether they have 50 employees or 5,000+. There are two plans to choose from:
- Designed for smaller employers outsourcing for the first time
- Faster implementation – services can be up and running in as little as 30 days
- Simpler ongoing administration (no monthly eligibility files required)
- Best suited for mid-size employers and larger companies
- Supports first-time outsourcers or employers looking to change or enhance their current support services
- Offers additional features for a more robust program
Our integrated, end-to-end disability and absence management approach can help minimize risk of liability and misuse of benefits, help return employees to work as soon as appropriate and reduce expenses. Plus, it can greatly streamline administrative processes, so your clients’ have more time to focus on their business.
Key features include:
- Integrated management of leaves, including group STD, group LTD, state and federal family medical leaves, and company leaves.
- Compliance with the most up-to-date laws, including the FMLA, state regulations and ADA/ADAA (when ADA services are elected).
- Dedicated leave managers plus services are backed by compliance experts and attorneys specializing in leave and disability laws
- Industry-leading software tools that we leverage to track usage patterns, claims, FMLA status and more.
- Exceptional support for a better customer experience, including extensive return-to-work assistance.
Integrated intake of STD or FMLA claims
One of the advantages of an integrated solution is that we are able to make the claims process easier for employees, from initial claim to ongoing communications.
Everything under one roof
Because our experienced intake, claims, leave and clinical support teams are located in a state-of-the-art solution center in Dallas, TX, we can be more efficient and responsive to your clients’ needs. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- The right resources are engaged sooner.
- Teams are structured to share information and collaborate.
- In-house clinicians manage medical events throughout the claim life cycle.
- We review for LTD potential from day one of STD.
Comprehensive reporting to improve employee absence management
Our in-depth reporting for FMLA/STD provides your clients with the information they need, when they need it, so they can better understand absence trends and reduce future absences. With Guardian, online reporting of leave events is available 24/7 all year round.
Dedicated support for large companies
For your larger clients, we provide all the support they need. You can count on our Group Practice Leaders and claims leadership to be actively involved from pre-sale to operations. Led by our Practice Leaders, with an average tenure of 22 years, we have experience in creating the optimal client-focused absence management system.
Ready to take the next step?
Learn more about why Guardian is a smart choice for absence management. We can help to provide any level of support in determining the coverage that best fits your clients’ needs.